Friday, March 22, 2013

Wednesday March 20, 2013 (week 1)

Hola mi familia!
     Wow hey! My P-day is Wednesday so I had to wait a whole week to write to you guys. First of all, thanks so much for all your letters! Getting letters is the best thing ever! I really appreciate your words of advice and encouragement, I carry them with me all day! So, since it's been a week I've got a lot to write. The first couples days I got to the MTC were very overwhelming. They say it's like trying to drink from a fire hose, and that's actually pretty accurate. I thought it was ironic that the first morning here I had a shower that came out like a freezing cold fire hose ha. They didn't tell us much, they just let us loose and let us figure it out on our own. Just after I got dropped off at the curb and starting walking in with my host Sister Stabenow came running up and hugged me and we were way excited. It was soo good to see her! We live in the same residence hall on the same floor even, so I get to talk to her every night before bed. The first day we went to an orientation and met our district. It was a busy dan, I hardly had time to write in my journal. My companion's name is Hna. Madsen. She's from Sandy and we get along really well! I love all the sisters in my district. There are four of us sisters and four elders. I love my district! We all get along really well and have a lot of fun. We've learned a lot together too. Spanish has been so fun to learn. I'm so grateful for my Spanish classes I took before! I can't imagine trying to learn without that background. My teacher, Hno. Rockwood is awesome. He teaches me how to be a good teacher as well as teaching me Spanish.
     The first few days of us being here felt a little unstructured. We had some workshops about getting to know people and seeing them as our Heavenly Father sees them. Our first day we had a big group meeting where we all taught an investigator together. That was pretty cool, but I'm glad we get to do it in companionship's now. The second night we met some of the other districts in our zone and we have some hilarious elders. It's so cool that we're all here doing the same thing, and it's because we love the Lord. I've made some pretty good friends already, especially within my district and zone. Our district leader is named Elder Fankhouser, he's from Sandy too actually. All of us in our district are waiting for our visas, we were all supposed to go to Peru first. We've heard that we'll probably be here the whole six weeks from some people. Some people have told us we'll go stateside for a while. Some people told us we'll get to go to the CCM in Peru, so it's pretty much up in the air right now. We've taught three lessons to our investigator already. His name is Eduardo. The first lesson was on the third day. Everyone in our zone told us that the first lesson usually goes pretty terrible, so I wasn't really nervous because I just expected it to be a learning experience. Well, it didn't go terribly, but it could have been better ha. The Spanish for me actually came pretty easily! My comp struggled with it a little, but we had only been there for three days, so it was just a learning experience. I think each lesson has gotten better and better. I love teaching with the Spirit! It's such an amazing feeling to teach someone the gospel as a missionary when you have the Spirit. Hna. Madsen is really good at following promptings, which is something I need to work on. We will be done teaching Eduardo on Thursday I think, then after that he will become our teacher along with Hno. Rockwood. Then both of them will be our investigators. It's nerve wracking sometimes, but it's good. I love it!
     Gym time here is so much fun! The first time we did insanity, and lately we've been playing four square. We've had some really good devotionals! We had members of the seventy speak to us about using the MTC to help us learn and grow, instead of treating it like a prison basically. In the Tuesday devotional my sisters in my district and I sang in the choir and KSL came and filmed us singing! They said during conference sessions they're doing a special on the MTC, so I might be on TV. I think it will be on Saturday, but that's just a guess. You might see me on TV though!
     We do a service project once a week and I felt right at home at the Marriott center cleaning the showers with foamy Q&A haha. I also saw a T5 on the track in the gym. It made me miss BYU a little bit. From our classroom window we can see the football stadium, so that also makes me miss it.
     I've seen a lot of people I know here! I saw Sister Ensign, Elder Beyer, Sister Finneran, the Randall twins, a girl I knew from Liberty Square named Robin, and the little brother of one of my FHE brothers is in my zone. He's the little brother of Tony Gervais! That was cool when we made that connection. I also thought I saw Danny Allen here. I'm not sure if it was really him.
     I have so much more to write but we only get half an hour on email here. We got exciting news that you can email me here, but I still have only half an hour, so please keep sending me dear elders please. I love you all!! Hope things are going well. I love hearing about things going on at home. I'm excited for Courthey to get here next week! 
Love, Hma. Anderson 
P.S. Sorry I only had time to send one picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment